[SIP Beyond VoIP] media_ip darcs patches

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Tue Dec 2 12:08:40 CET 2014

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé writes:

> Well, then we are in for some trouble. Up until now I was under the
> impression that you had multiple IP addresses on a single machine and
> you wanted to use one of them. What you seem to need, instead, is some
> “advertised_ip” setting, which would point to the actual public IP
> address of the private IP address you have.

all i need is to to able to tell the ip that sylkserver advertises as
media address in its sdp.  the other party then sends media to that
address (= public ip of nat), which the nat then converts to local ip of
sylkserver.  the media_ip patch that i sent does what is needed.

> I’m ok with that, but I’d keep signalling and media IPs a single
> setting, otherwise it complicates things internally quite a bit. Would
> something like this work for you?
>
> [SIP]
> local_ip = 192.168.1.1
> advertised_ip = 80.80.80.80
>
> Then SylkServer would bind all sockets to 192.168.1.1, but the SDP and
> Contact header would contain the advertised IP address.

i'm afraid that that would not work.  sip proxy running on the same host
as sylkserver cannot reach sylkserver for sip signalling using public ip
of the nat (provided by amazon aws), i.e., looping packets from inside
via nat public ip back to inside does not work.

-- juha