[SIP Beyond VoIP] media_ip darcs patches

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Dec 2 17:59:23 CET 2014

On 02 Dec 2014, at 12:08, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:

> Saúl Ibarra Corretgé writes:
>
>> Well, then we are in for some trouble. Up until now I was under the
>> impression that you had multiple IP addresses on a single machine and
>> you wanted to use one of them. What you seem to need, instead, is some
>> “advertised_ip” setting, which would point to the actual public IP
>> address of the private IP address you have.
>
> all i need is to to able to tell the ip that sylkserver advertises as
> media address in its sdp.  the other party then sends media to that
> address (= public ip of nat), which the nat then converts to local ip of
> sylkserver.  the media_ip patch that i sent does what is needed.

The patch you sent does what you want, but it’s incomplete in my opinion. You advertise the media IP address, but the RTP sockets were still bound to 0.0.0.0. Please read below.

>> I’m ok with that, but I’d keep signalling and media IPs a single
>> setting, otherwise it complicates things internally quite a bit. Would
>> something like this work for you?
>>
>> [SIP]
>> local_ip = 192.168.1.1
>> advertised_ip = 80.80.80.80
>>
>> Then SylkServer would bind all sockets to 192.168.1.1, but the SDP and
>> Contact header would contain the advertised IP address.
>
> i'm afraid that that would not work.  sip proxy running on the same host
> as sylkserver cannot reach sylkserver for sip signalling using public ip
> of the nat (provided by amazon aws), i.e., looping packets from inside
> via nat public ip back to inside does not work.

I don’t understand why it wouldn’t. Your SIP proxy listens on 192.168.1.1:5060 (private IP of the NAT) and SylkServer on 192.168.1.1:50600. Your proxy would send traffic over the 192.168.1.1 interface. Alternatively al alias could be used. Am I missing something in your setup?