[SIP Beyond VoIP] Possibly using SylkServer as SIP Gateway for XMPP

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Fri Sep 27 09:26:09 CEST 2013

Hi!

On Sep 26, 2013, at 10:58 AM, David Hubbard wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking at SylkServer for a potential requirement.
>
> We actually using XMPP Server hosted internally for our IM and Presence usage (eJabberd on Linux) and would like to federate with a customers SIP-based solution (Microsoft OCS).   So I'm considering putting SylkServer to act as a gateway at the edge of our environment for connection out to these customers.

Before we dive into deeper waters, OCS doesn't use SIP "by the book" so SylkServer alone won't cut it, you'll need to translate proper SIP into what OCS understands.

> From my reading around SylkServer, I infer that this was mainly developed for the SIP world to reach out to XMPP - however my requirement is the other way round.

It should also work in your scenario.

> So my questions are:
>
> - Can we use SylkServer (hosted our side) to act as a gateway to external SIP servers?     I note a point on the installation instructions:  "SylkServer must run on a public IP address reachable directly by the SIP clients. If SylkServer is installed behind NAT using a private IP address, only clients from the same LAN can make use of it. "

Well, you'll run into NAT issues which SylkServer is not designed to handle. If your SIP server outside the network does NAT traversal things may work, but I can't guarantee it 100%.

> - Is this restriction just to allow support for local SIP Client usage (which we wouldn't have directly - our local clients would be XMPP) or will it affect external SIP server connection?

Oh, so you want to use XMPP clients connected to SylkServer? That's not supported at the moment, SylkServer establishes server-to-server XMPP connections only.

> - Do I also need a SIP Proxy Server? and would OpenSIP be a good candidate for this?

SylkServer does not do AAA (authentication, authorization, accounting) nor NAT traversal, it's designed to work behind a SIP proxy. OpenSIPS is a good candidate, yes.

The SylkServer related documentation is located here: http://projects.ag-projects.com/projects/sylkserver/wiki/Description but probably already found that :-)