[Blink] New Blink Qt release 0.4.0 for Windows

mgraves at mstvp.com mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri Jun 28 22:00:59 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I have been experimenting with a couple of recent Opus implementations
in soft phones. Some allow more end-user adjustment of things than
others. Some allow you to set the sample rate independent of the bit
rate.

Opus supports a maximum sample rate of 48 KHz, which by the way is the
standard used by the broadcast and pro-audio industries for hardware
design.

I'm told that Opus always reports it's sample rate as 48 KHz in SDP, as
that's what it might do given the network capacity.

Of course, there's more to call quality than just sample rate. However,
some rudimentary testing with basic tones reveals that Opus at 48 KHz
and around 50 kbps sounds quite clean.

http://www.mgraves.org/2013/05/experimenting-with-opus-i-phonerlite/

Michael Graves
mgraves  mstvp.com