[Blink] Disable built-in voicemail?

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Tue Jul 30 21:03:03 CEST 2013

On Jul 30, 2013, at 8:33 PM, John Nielsen <jnielsen at socialserve.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Adrian Georgescu <ag at ag-projects.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 30, 2013, at 7:24 PM, John Nielsen wrote:
>>
>>> We run an Asterisk server that handles voicemail on the back end. We'd like our users to continue using that and never use Blink's built-in voicemail feature. We can of course disable the "Enable Answering Machine" preference, but the users are still presented with a misleading "voicemail" button when a call comes in. We actually sent the screen shot below to our users.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to remove or re-purpose the "voicemail" button on the incoming call dialog box? If a user doesn't accept a call it should go to our back-end voicemail.
>>>
>>> If this is not currently possible will you consider it a feature request?
>>
>> Yes
>
> Thanks! I think a simple place to start would be to just have the button not appear if "Enable Answering Machine" preference is disabled (or have a global voice mail toggle that controls both)
>
>>> On a side note, do you have any plans to allow Blink to integrate more tightly with back-end voicemail systems?
>>
>> Could you expand on what precisely in technical terms do you mean by more tightly. What and how should happen?
>
> I don't know enough about SIP, etc. to be sure this is feasible but I was imagining things like:
> 	voice mail indicator (active if there is new voice mail on the server), possibly including a count
> 	listen to voice mail (button and/or menu item), possibly implemented as a customizable speed-dial
> 	review or change voice mail greeting (button and/or menu item), again could just be a customizable speed-dial

This is already implemented. Blink menu Call has a Voicemail section, if the SIP server is properly configured you can see the number of unread messages and clicking on the menu takes you to the voicemail server. This is according to http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3842

UI Notifications are send using Growl, if you have it installed.

> 	send to voice mail (incoming call button) - immediately transfer the incoming call to the system voice mail,

> either by ignoring the call or possibly by using a special extension or prefix (our system is set up so that 1*XXX goes immediately to the voice mail for extension XXX, for instance)

This is already done but again it requires that the server is configured for doing it. When you reject the call the code used to reject the call can be used to trigger the voicemail routing in the server, typically 603 or 486 codes but you can customise the code in the advanced preferences.

> Our system immediately delivers voice mail via e-mail, so I would be more interested in the last two than the first two. But these are all just suggestions.

Again, this already works but your server must support it according to rfc3842.