[Blink] Disable built-in voicemail?

John Nielsen jnielsen at socialserve.com
Tue Jul 30 20:33:41 CEST 2013

On Jul 30, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Adrian Georgescu <ag at ag-projects.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2013, at 7:24 PM, John Nielsen wrote:
>
>> We run an Asterisk server that handles voicemail on the back end. We'd like our users to continue using that and never use Blink's built-in voicemail feature. We can of course disable the "Enable Answering Machine" preference, but the users are still presented with a misleading "voicemail" button when a call comes in. We actually sent the screen shot below to our users.
>>
>> Is there a way to remove or re-purpose the "voicemail" button on the incoming call dialog box? If a user doesn't accept a call it should go to our back-end voicemail.
>>
>> If this is not currently possible will you consider it a feature request?
>
> Yes

Thanks! I think a simple place to start would be to just have the button not appear if "Enable Answering Machine" preference is disabled (or have a global voice mail toggle that controls both)

>> On a side note, do you have any plans to allow Blink to integrate more tightly with back-end voicemail systems?
>
> Could you expand on what precisely in technical terms do you mean by more tightly. What and how should happen?

I don't know enough about SIP, etc. to be sure this is feasible but I was imagining things like:
	voice mail indicator (active if there is new voice mail on the server), possibly including a count
	listen to voice mail (button and/or menu item), possibly implemented as a customizable speed-dial
	review or change voice mail greeting (button and/or menu item), again could just be a customizable speed-dial
	send to voice mail (incoming call button) - immediately transfer the incoming call to the system voice mail, either by ignoring the call or possibly by using a special extension or prefix (our system is set up so that 1*XXX goes immediately to the voice mail for extension XXX, for instance)

Our system immediately delivers voice mail via e-mail, so I would be more interested in the last two than the first two. But these are all just suggestions.

JN