[Blink] contact search selection

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue Apr 6 11:23:13 CEST 2010

On 2 Apr 2010, at 16:33, Hoot, Joseph wrote:

> Here is one more thing that I wanted to toss out here as some
> (hopefully) constructive feedback.   I added a contact "1800ibmserv"
> and put the sip address that I wanted it to connect to as "18004267378 at mysipserver.com
> "   If I type 18004267378 or 18004267378 at mysipserver.com in that
> search area and hit ENTER, it connects just fine.  However, the
> content sensitive help leads me to believe that I should be able to
> type 1800ibmserv  and then just hit Return to start the session.
>
> In mac's spotlight, if you hit command+spacebar and start typing, it
> will automatically highlight the top hit items, if it finds
> something.  If it doesn't it will just say "no results found".
>
> Similarly, in Skype.app, if you start typing "1800ibmserv," it would
> attempt to search through the contact list and find that.  If it
> finds it and you hit enter, it'll create a new session to that
> contact.
>
> It would be nice to do the same thing in Blink at some point.
> Currently in Blink, I have to hit TAB first.  So that is my
> workaround for now.

While it sounds like a useful feature it also has issues. Imagine I
type ibm, it finds the 1800ibmserv entry and then I type Enter. With
what you propose it would call the entry that was found. However if
this time I intended to call just sip:ibm at mysipserver.com and I just
typed ibm knowing that it will automatically add the domain, it will
not work and there is no way to dial anything that is a substring of
an existing contact, as it will dial that contact instead. The only
way around this is to type the whole SIP URI in order to avoid the
other contact to be matched by the search or to add it as a contact,
which can be annoying if you only need to dial it once.

--
Dan