[SIP Beyond VoIP] Sylkserver – I'm too stupid to understand the sparse documentation

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Mon Jun 18 15:26:11 CEST 2018

> On 18 Jun 2018, at 08:22, Paul <xmppaulina at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 18 June 2018 at 11:50, Adrian Georgescu <ag at ag-projects.com <mailto:ag at ag-projects.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 17 Jun 2018, at 13:31, Paul <xmppaulina at protonmail.com <mailto:xmppaulina at protonmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> What I wanted to achieve is that the users on my XMPP server can call an Asterisk server and receive calls from Asterisk.
>>
>> XMPP client <---> example.net <http://example.net/> (XMPP server) <---> gate.example.net <http://gate.example.net/> (Sylkserver) <---> pbx.example.net <http://pbx.example.net/> (Asterisk SIP)
>
> Yes, this is the main usage scenario for which the server was designed.
>
> [...]
>

> The SIP DNS records must point to the SIP server
> The XMPP DNS records must point to SylkServer
>

> Like
>
> _xmpp-server._tcp.pbx.example.net <http://tcp.pbx.example.net/>. 1 IN SRV 1 1 5269 sylkserver.example.net <http://sylkserver.example.net/>.
> _sip._udp.pbx.example.net <http://udp.pbx.example.net/>.         1 IN SRV 1 1 5060 asterisk.example.net <http://asterisk.example.net/>.
>
> I guess in this scenario Asterisk (or some SIP proxy) would need to route requests for xmpp-user at example.net <mailto:xmpp-user at example.net> to Sylkserver (I'm more familiar with XMPP and not so much into SIP).

Yes, you must configure your sip server to route requests mean for XMMP domains through SylkServer. The request arises as INVITE to to SylkServer which then routes it to XMMP application based on the login configure (by domain of URI, or set xmpp-gw the default app so that all requests go to XMPP)

> I'm still unsure if or how client to client communication would work with third party clients (like user at thirdparty.example <mailto:user at thirdparty.example>). I have the impression that it only works between providers that both offer XMPP _and_ SIP on the same domain, which 99% do not.

This makes possible to have a SIP client under domain A where SylkServer talk to a XMPP client in domain B and vice versa. The limitation is that Domain A uses only SIP, cannot use XMMP clients.