[SIP Beyond VoIP] Permanent presence State Usage

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Thu Jan 10 14:03:58 CET 2013

An XCAP client only can push an XCAP document using XCAP protocol. In this case it will push pidf-manipulation containing presence information, this information is persistently stored in the XCAP server once uploaded and is available to the Presence Agent serving the user that published the document.

A SIP client can Publish presence information using SIP protocol and as long as it publishes something and is refreshing it, the Presence Agent that aggregates all presence information in behalf of the same user should discard any pidf-manipulation stored by the corresponded XCAP client of the same user. That pidf-manipulation is meant to be used only when no active SIP client publishes.

This was already pretty clear in the standards, I am just rephrased it.

Nobody stops you to only push pidf-manipulation, but not knowing how many clients publish and how the presence agent behaves you are simply gambling for how things will behave outside of your client.