[Blink] Dial Error from Copy Paste of Number

Bryan Miller bmill at socialserve.com
Wed Jan 9 20:37:30 CET 2013

Hi,

A user encountered an error after copy & pasting a phone number and then attempted to dial.

The error is:

(UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u2013' in position 52: ordinal not in range(128))

I'm not entirely sure if a paste of the string will go through properly, but here it is:

609–585-8051

Output from od -c
0000000    6   0   9   –  **  **   5   8   5   -   8   0   5   1  \n

This was copy/pasted from the contact page of the site she was on.

I already advised to simply type in the number by hand if the problem is encountered in the future, but I thought I'd pass it along in case you might want to code a exception handler for such a scenario.

-BMill