[Blink] Incompatible SIP services

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Wed Mar 30 11:59:53 CEST 2011

На 30.03.11 12:49, "Robert M. Münch" написа:
> Am 29.03.2011 um 18:33 schrieb Emil Ivov:
>
>> Oh boy ... nothing like an "it works with X-Lite so it's OK" argument.
>>
>> They should probably advertise their service as an X-Lite service then.
>
> Hi, I don't know this x-lite stuff. I downloaded it and will play around with it.
>
> What are the known drawbacks from your side?

This is not about the drawbacks of a specific application. X-Lite is a
rather popular SIP client and my annoyance is caused by how people would
sometimes wave its behaviour as a de-facto standard.

The entire response from 1&1 shows lack of understanding of the problem,
or a reluctance to deal with it. What the "Incompatible SIP services"
page on Blink's site says is that the technique 1&1 expect clients to
use is outdated and does not always work. There are indeed many
scenarios where it would pull through, which is probably why they
consider X-Lite as "working" with their service.

This doesn't change anything to the fact that using STUN as a standalone
NAT traversal solution (and especially using it for SIP headers) is a
very lame solution that would often fail. To projects like Blink
implementing it would hence imply wasting resources so that part of the
users of a certain provider would be able to successfully connect to it.

Emil