[Blink] Problem with 1&1

"Robert M. Münch" robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Tue Mar 15 18:14:58 CET 2011

Am 15.03.2011 um 17:31 schrieb Adrian Georgescu:

> This is an unfortunate tell of the SIP industry. I will put it into my own words here. Feel free to comment or add your thoughts about it.
>
> What 1 & 1 does is the following:

Hi Adrian, thanks for the elaborated explanation. I know some big guys at 1&1 and will see if I can use my channels. Even this won't necessary result in a fast fix. But if we don't try, we will never know. We will see.

> Now the consequence of this is:
>
> Some SIP clients who try to do the heuristic check may work or not depending on type of NAT they are behind. Try is trial and error and no way to debug it when it does not work. Completely undeterministic behavior.

I'm sure you know the "Telephone" VOIP client for OSX. This one works for me, from different setups. Even if it's pure luck, than I'm a pretty lucky guy because I never had a problem with it. Beside crashes of the progam, which might be caused by exactly what you described. But restarting helps and than it works...

> Blink does not work, but deterministically. At least you know where you stand and why.

How about letting me choose to use the undeterministic approach and taking the result AS-IS? That would be OK for me. If I'm as lucky as when using "Telephone" than my problem is solved.

> What shall be done about it? Should Blink build something that works 'sometime' or should 1 & 1 fix they service to work with any client in every case?

How about both ways? Robert