[Blink] Blink stores plain word passwords in its config file?

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue Nov 23 22:54:18 CET 2010

On 23 Nov 2010, at 16:30, tbizzle wrote:

> That's not very secure . . .

We do not want to give anyone a false sense of security or claim that
we store the password securely, when in fact there is no foolproof way
to store the password in a file with an open source program.

The config file is readable only by you, so no other user can read it
unless they have root access. If you're worried about the root user
reading your personal files on a desktop computer, then you're right.
The root user could do that. But how many people don't own their
desktop computers? In order to prevent it in such a case we would have
to store it encrypted somehow. But then again, what stops the root
user to simply add a statement that logs your password in a file in
the blink code, right after where blink reads its configuration and
decrypts the password? The root user doesn't even have to know what
encryption method is used, it wouldn't even matter if you never store
the password in a file ever but ask for it every time you make a call.
He will simply benefit from the decryption which is already done by
blink itself and the password can still be printed/saved to a file
right after it is obtained from the configuration or from the user.
This doesn't even incur an effort from the root user as python offers
you full access to the source code and even if the program would be
written in C, it would only create a minor nuisance as the root user
would only need to recompile the program before he can spy on your
password.

The conclusion is that either you use a desktop system you own and
you're your own root user so you trust yourself implicitly, or you run
on a system owned by someone you trust. Otherwise there is no
protection against a root user that is willing and determined to read
your files or to know what you type on the keyboard.

--
Dan