[SIP Beyond VoIP] Issue causes Sylkserver to refuse new connections

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Apr 12 10:38:45 CEST 2019

On 11 Apr 2019, at 17:09, Penelope Vennisse wrote:

> Thanks for implementing the fix! We've updated our Python SIPSimple version to v3.4.1 and the SylkServer to v5.2.0. Looks like the problem with the growing number of ports is now gone - we haven't seen the PJ_ETOOMANY exception for more than a month now.
>
> However, recently we saw the logging error that we mentioned in the previous emails. Looks like this might be an independent problem. Our logs show the following two lines:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 861, in emit
>
> The traceback ends there. After this happens, SylkServer stops responding to session create requests until we restart it.

I have seen this myself, but I do not know what causes it. I happens very rarely so I could not isolate what causes it, nor was I able to debug it.

The traceback is very weird. A traceback cannot be just one entry like that, unless it is an error at the top level of the main script, which is not the case. We should see at least the parent of emit (log.info|warn|error|...) and who called that and so on until the main function. The fact that there is only 1 entry in the traceback suggests to me that the stack is somehow corrupted. Or at the very least the backtrace itself was corrupted. It's possible that eventlib does something wrong as it stores and forwards exceptions in order to report them in the caller greenlet. Maybe something gets corrupted in transition.

> I understand the error is not very helpful and this might even be an issue with the Python logging library or something related, but I thought it makes sense to ask you anyway in case you might have some advice.

Not unless we can isolate what causes it (what chain of events, or what incoming request, ...)

--
Dan