[SIP Beyond VoIP] Changing the sampling rate in Blink for Windows

Michael W. Dean rightarmofwyoming at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:36:22 CEST 2014

At 02:23 AM 7/11/2014, you wrote:
>This radio broadcasting business seems to be an interesting use case
>for Blink.
>
>I am glad we are reaching people that have needs beyond plain
>telephony replacement.

Comrex is the de-facto unit in radio. Their boxes start at $1400 US
and go up to about $5000. They're gear is not much more than a
dedicated small Linux box with a bunch of Codecs in it, and audio
converters for input and output. They work incredibly solid over
normal cable Internet to connect a remote host to a radio network
(which in turn sends it to a satellite, which is received by stations
that rebroadcast it). They're also used for connecting from radio
studios to the transmitter, which is often at a different location,
up on a hill somewhere.

That company also makes similar gear for television.

There are competitors that make boxes that cost less, but don't do as
good of a job. If someone were to make a cheaper box that did the
same thing, did it as well, and marketed it correctly, they'd be
incredibly rich.

I have 12 rotating co-hosts, all in different towns from me. I can't
afford to buy them all Comrex boxes, so have been connecting to them
via Skype. (And I connect to the Network via my Comrex Bric-Link
unit.) Tomorrow I'll try Opus on Blink to connect to a few of them as
a test. But the issue is this: My show is a live 6 days a week, I'd
like to be able to take a day off once in a while. I could if two of
my co-hosts (without me and my Comrex) can use Blink to connect to
the network's Comrex and do a show without me. They can via G.722,
but it doesn't sound great. I guess I'll have to hope Comrex adds
Opus support soon. They said back in January they have plans to, but
haven't yet.

Michael W. Dean, host Freedom Feens show on Genesis Communications Network.
http://www.freedomfeens.com/radio/