[SIP Beyond VoIP] Debugging DTMF for conference bridge app

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Mon Dec 23 09:14:56 CET 2013

Hi,

On Dec 21, 2013, at 7:09 PM, Jason Ostrom <jpo at pobox.com> wrote:

> I have done the following in order to have SIP Simple print out the DTMF, and it is still not working.
>
> 1.  Ported code from sip-session sample sipclients for DTMF receiving into other python script.  The code is listening for notification from the audio stream just as sip-session does.

How did you add the observer?

> 2.  Verified that the DTMF is being received as RFC 2833 and it is broadcasted by Asterisk.  Ran a wireshark trace and all digits are being received on host running sip simple SDK apps.
>
> Problem is SIP Simple code is not able to detect DTMF, or at least my implementation.
>
> Question:  How do I get the "sip-session" sample application to receive DTMF and print out each DTMF digit to stdout?  Does it do this by default?  How do I debug / print each RTP packet, because DTMF in RTP Payload is not detected?  I am trying to troubleshoot it, if I can just get sip-session to print each DTMF digit that is broadcasted by another conference user, then I can get the 'sip-session' DTMF receiving code working in the other python script.  Both scripts are successfully dialing into conference.  Other conference user inputs DTMF, and I can see Asterisk broadcasting, but nothing on receiving scripts.  Please let me know if any ideas.

You can enable notifications trace (see sip-session -h) and all notifications will be either dumped to a file or printed to stdout. You should see if DTMF is detected notifications getting fired. If it isn't detected, then you'd need to dig deeper and enable the PJSIP logs.