[SIP SIMPLE client] sylk is not relaying chat messages

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Sat Apr 30 10:53:53 CEST 2011

Hi Juha,

Rewriting SIP URIs is indeed permitted in SIP Proxies and one must consider when and if is necessary to do such thing. The conference rooms are based on this URIs in this case. So if the application is non-VoIP related is best to avoid rewriting any headers unless necessary as they may be required by the application.

If I am user and dialed a specific service URI I do not expect to end up there with the SIP proxy mangling my packets. If you do the one who set up this mechanism into the servers must take care that he does not break things, the user may have no clue why his session is failing. Same for presence and other applications beyond VoIP, the headers must be consistent with the user experience. Request URI, From, To headers become relevant and re-writting them by intermediaries can only cause problems.

Probably the To header can be used for this purpose as well in this case as it captures the original intention of the user do call to that address.

We are open for suggestions here as we are touching uncharted territories.

Adrian