[SIP SIMPLE client] sip-session with a USB sound card

brian_p claremont102 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:33:01 CET 2010

Hello,

I am using sipclients_0.15.2_all.deb on Debian sid. The sound cards
available to me are:

> brian at testbox:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [nForce         ]: NFORCE - NVidia nForce
>                      NVidia nForce with ALC650D at irq 20
>  1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - VOIP USB Phone
                      Yealink Network Technology Ltd. VOIP USB Phone

I want to use card 1. Why ALSA gives it an ID of 'default' I don't know,
because it isn't.

Card 1 apparently uses a sample rate of 8000 Hz.

> brian at testbox:~/futro/sflphone-testing$ cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0
> Yealink Network Technology Ltd. VOIP USB Phone            at usb-0000:00:02.0-2 : USB Audio

> Playback:
>  Interface 2
>    Altset 1
>    Format: S16_LE
>    Channels: 1
>    Endpoint: 4 OUT (NONE)
>    Rates: 8000
>
> Capture:
>  Interface 1
>    Altset 1
>    Format: S16_LE
>    Channels: 1
>    Endpoint: 2 IN (NONE)
>    Rates: 8000

In $HOME/.sipclient/config I have:

> SIPSimpleSettings:
>   default_account = xxxxxxxx at voiptalk.org
>    sample_rate =
>    audio:
>        alert_device =
>        input_device =
>        output_device =

Then I start sip-session, register and try to change the output device
to use card 1. But

> Failed to set output device to VOIP USB Phone           : USB Audio
> (hw:1,0): Could not create sound device: Invalid sample rate

The first thing I note is that the ALSA device should be plughw:1,0. I
know hw:1,0 doesn't work on this machine using, say, aplay. Anyway,
putting sample_rate = 8000 still gives the same message, as does any
other value.

My problem looks similar to this one at

http://lists.ag-projects.com/pipermail/blink/2010-September/000496.html

which did not have a resolution. From what I read in the documentation
and the mailing lists a sample rate of 8000 Hz is very likely to work.

Obviously I think I'm going about things in the right way but I could be
mistaken. I'd appreciate any guidance which would lead to getting this
card working.

Regards,

Brian.