[SIP SIMPLE client] sip-session with a USB sound card

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Dec 7 18:05:24 CET 2010

Hi,

> Ok, this message message comes via pjsip/PortAudio; correct?

It's really PJMEDIA, but the only audio backend on our build is PortAudio.

> Debian unstable doesn't have a pjproject package but there is one at
> http://deb.sipdoc.net. Thanks Saúl.

LoL, that's a repo I set up with some friends long ago :-) It's an old
pjsip 1.0, but AFAIS you could use it for testing :-)

> With a bit of trial and error we'll run
>
>> brian at testbox:$ pjsua --playback-dev=3 --capture-dev=3
>
> which reports
>
>> pjsua_media.c  RTCP socket reachable at 192.168.7.25:4007
>> pjsua_media.c  pjsua_set_snd_dev(): attempting to open devices @16000 Hz
>> pjsua_media.c  ..failed: Invalid sample rate
>> pjsua_media.c  pjsua_set_snd_dev(): attempting to open devices @44100 Hz
>> pjsua_media.c  ..failed: Invalid sample rate
>> pjsua_media.c  pjsua_set_snd_dev(): attempting to open devices @48000 Hz
>> pjsua_media.c  ..failed: Invalid sample rate
>> pjsua_media.c  pjsua_set_snd_dev(): attempting to open devices @32000 Hz
>> pjsua_media.c  ..failed: Invalid sample rate
>> pjsua_media.c  pjsua_set_snd_dev(): attempting to open devices @16000 Hz
>> pjsua_media.c  ..failed: Invalid sample rate
>> pjsua_media.c  pjsua_set_snd_dev(): attempting to open devices @8000 Hz
>> ec0x8c01298  AEC created, clock_rate=8000, channel=1, samples per frame=160,
>> tail length=200 ms, latency=100 ms
>
> when starting up and
>
>> pjsua_media.c  Closing VOIP USB Phone           : USB Audio (hw:1,0) sound
>> playback device and VOIP USB Phone           : USB Audio (hw:1,0) sound
>> capture device
>> pasound.c  PortAudio sound library shutting down..
>> pjsua_core.c  Shutting down...
>> pjsua_core.c  Destroying...
>
> when closing down. Audio to the device's earphone and mouthpiece is no
> problem for making and receiving calls.

Ok, so it does work with pjsua.

> So I'm perplexed. There appears to a bug here but where does it lie?
> Both sip-session and blink recognise the card but will not have anything
> to do with it. pjsua recognises the card and happily opens it at 8 kHz.
> Where do I go from here?

The bug might be on our side or on the specific pjsip/PortAudio version
we bundle. Unfortunately I don't have a 8 KHz only device, so I can't
test it myself :-S