[Blink] python-enum34

Daniel Gnoutcheff gnoutchd at softwarefreedom.org
Fri Sep 3 20:20:00 CEST 2021

On 9/1/21 7:43 AM, Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> This package is critical, and is also a dependency of python-cryptography and python-otr packages.

According to python-enum34's Debian package description, the module it
provides is part of the standard library in Python 3.4 and later.
Hence, python-cryptography and python-otr require python-enum34, while
python3-cryptography and python3-otr do not, presumably requiring python
 >=3.4 instead.

Once I removed 'python-enum34' from Blink's debian/control, I
successfully built it, installed it, launched it, and placed a test call
on a fresh Debian bullseye system where python-enum34 was not installed.
  stdout/stderr showed no signs of discomfort.  Seeing as there was no
python3 version of python-enum34 on stretch or buster either, this leads
me to assume that the Python3 version of Blink is already successfully
using the >=3.4 standard library 'enum' module in place of the version
formerly provided by python-enum34.

Hence, I believe the change to debian/control is all that's needed to
get Blink to install and run on bullseye.

HTH,
--
Daniel Gnoutcheff
Systems Administrator