[Blink] Problem syncing Google Contacts

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue Jul 4 11:23:22 CEST 2017

I have finally be able to reproduce this. It only happens for people that just started to use google contacts now, it does not affect people who were already using google contacts before.

The problem is caused by yet another API change on google's side (this being the 3rd or 4th already), where they modify their released API on the fly without announcing it or increasing the API version in order to maintain backward compatibility.

At this point I'm kinda reluctant to even adjust it because the first time it happened and I updated the code to work with the modified API, they rolled back the changes after a few weeks and I had to revert my changes as well. Their API seems to be very unstable and fluctuates all the time, which is a baffling development model to say the least.

The fix will be in the next release (unless they revert it again). In the meanwhile I can make the modified contacts.py module available for those that are willing to try and fix it themselves (it requires dropping the contacts.py file somewhere in the directories where blink is installed).

On 14 Jun 2017, at 10:38, Morten Pettersen wrote:

> Version: 3.0.0 (Windows)
>
> My Blink does not sync contacts with Google. In output.log:
>
> error: Exception occurred while calling <function sync_contacts at 0x077d756c> in the 'network-io' thread
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sipsimple/threading/__init__.py", line 37, in _EH_CallFunctionEvent
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 860, in sync_contacts
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 940, in _get_connections
> KeyError: 'nextSyncToken'
> error: Exception occurred while calling <function sync_contacts at 0x0735956c> in the 'network-io' thread
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sipsimple/threading/__init__.py", line 37, in _EH_CallFunctionEvent
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 860, in sync_contacts
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 940, in _get_connections
> KeyError: 'nextSyncToken'
> error: Exception occurred while calling <function sync_contacts at 0x0735956c> in the 'network-io' thread
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sipsimple/threading/__init__.py", line 37, in _EH_CallFunctionEvent
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 860, in sync_contacts
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 940, in _get_connections
> KeyError: 'nextSyncToken'
> error: Exception occurred while calling <function sync_contacts at 0x0777d56c> in the 'network-io' thread
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sipsimple/threading/__init__.py", line 37, in _EH_CallFunctionEvent
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 860, in sync_contacts
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 940, in _get_connections
> KeyError: 'nextSyncToken'
> error: Exception occurred while calling <function sync_contacts at 0x0784b56c> in the 'network-io' thread
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sipsimple/threading/__init__.py", line 37, in _EH_CallFunctionEvent
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 860, in sync_contacts
>   File "blink/contacts.py", line 940, in _get_connections
> KeyError: 'nextSyncToken'
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Morten Pettersen