[Blink] Noise on G.722 calls only with Blink

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Mon Jul 1 16:49:39 CEST 2013

I've run some tests.  I think what we have here is the combination of mic
gain a little higher than it needs to be, receiver volume a little louder
than it needs to be, a USB dongle on this Sennheiser PC 151 headset that
isn't completely quiet, and listeners I have trained well.  :)   Add all
that up through a codec that tends to be a little raspy in the high
frequencies and the result is nondescript "noise".

I ran the tests against Polycom 450s, 560s and 650s all running 4.0.4
software, a Freeswitch conference bridge, and a remote Blink Pro instance.
 Results were consistent across all platforms.

Bria's implementation of G.722 sounds different, and in my opinion, not as
clean overall as Blink / PJMEDIA's.  Blink's does seem to be slightly
more susceptible to noise of this sort.  Still, the overall quality of
voiced portions seemed much cleaner than Bria's.  With all the levels now
more properly adjusted I'm quite satisfied with how Blink sounds.

Sometimes it's amazing what good data will show.  I'd call this a closed
case.

Like MCG, I'm looking forward to OPUS and any other codecs that may be
coming soon!

- Jeff