[Blink] Trouble with USB headsets

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Mar 6 15:10:59 CET 2012

Hi John,

Blink currently uses PortAudio as the library to access the audio devices on OSX (CoreAudio). Because of some issues we have discovered on Linux and we plan to replace it in the upcoming months, yet this library might not be the culprit for what you are experiencing.

Currently Blink does not expose a sample rate setting, because it apparently doesn't have any effect on OSX. On Linux, for example, if your headset only supports 44.1KHz and 48HHz and Blink tries to open the device at 16KHz it will fail. In OSX, however, it always works. Also, we recently added acoustic echo cancellation which requires to always use 16KHz, since the AEC doesn't work at other rate. So changing the rate would disable the echo cancellation which may not be desirable for everyone.

Even just for testing if a different sample rate would make a difference would require extra development.

Best regards,