[Blink] RPM packaging of blink for Fedora and other distros

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Oct 18 12:29:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Oct 18, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Perazim wrote:

> Been offline for some weeks and am again trying to finish packaging
> blink and deps for fedora 14 using rpms.
>
> I have packaged the following as rpms that were not available in the
> Everything fedora 14 repo:

Great!

> blink-0.2.8
>
> python-application-1.3.0
>
> python-backports-1.0.0
>
> python-greenlet-0.4.1 (NOTE: install docs call for 0.4.0 but I cannot
> find this. Maybe build requirements are out of date?)

Did you use the version from our repository? If so it's really >= 0.4.0.

> python-msrplib-0.14.1
>
> python-sipsimple-0.19.0
>
> python-xcaplib-1.0.16
>
> sipclients-0.19.0
>
> eventlet-0.8.14

Does Fedora package eventlet already? If so, what version?

> dnspython-1.9.4

This will cause trouble, see bellow.

> In addition:
>
> zope-interface was replaced with python-zope-interface from the fedora
> repos
>
> cython was replaced with Cython from the fedora repos
>
> PIL was replaced with python-imaging from the fedora repos
>
> Now blink starts. Before the main window is displayed I see this:

[snip]

>    source=source)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dns/query.py", line 197, in udp
>    _wait_for_writable(s, expiration)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dns/query.py", line 137, in
> _wait_for_writable
>    _wait_for(s, False, True, True, expiration)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dns/query.py", line 110, in
> _wait_for
>    if not _polling_backend(fd, readable, writable, error, timeout):
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dns/query.py", line 61, in
> _poll_for
>    event_mask |= select.POLLOUT
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'POLLOUT'
>

> At this point the main window displays. When I select Call Test, I then
> see "looking up destination" and then nothing. At this point I can
> hang-up and it goes back to the call list. No further log text is
> displayed,
>
> It looks to me like this is a dns resolution problem of some kind.
>
> Any ideas?

The internal API in dnspython changed between versions 1.8.x and 1.9.x IIRC. We monkeypatch it so that it uses non-blocking select (using greenlets) instead of using the standard blocking version.

This needs to be fixed (most likely in lookup.py from python-sipsimple) to accommodate the API changes while preserving backwards compatibility.

We do our development mainly in Debian, which provides version 1.8.0, so I didn't run into this before.

I'll take care of this for the next time we build packages and let you know.

Thanks and regards,