[Blink] Microphone doesn't work on Mac (after upgrading from 0.21.1 to 0.22.2?)

Heiko Selber wadenwickel at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:46:06 CET 2011

Aw bummer, I found out that Virtual Box causes the problem.

Whenever I run a VM on my Mac, the microphone is disabled for Blink.
But only for Blink. Skype or any other app that uses the mike is
unaffected.

It doesn't help if I disable USB or audio in the VM config. I had
assumed VBox grabs a device if it's enabled, and releases it if
disabled. But it grabs it nevertheless.

What's interesting is that older versions of are apparently less
susceptible. I downgraded to 0.20.2 and 0.21.1. With 0.20.2, audio
works in Blink-to-Blink calls even if the VM is running, but with 0.21
or 0.22 it doesn't. It even works if I run one of the newer versions
and a VM and receive a call from an older version. Strange...

So, while VBox appears to be the culprit, it seems that other
applications are more resilient than Blink. (Or maybe Skype knows some
dirty trick?)