[Blink] SOCKS support for Blink?

Mike O'Connor mjo at dojo.mi.org
Sat Oct 2 00:04:49 CEST 2010

:You are completely and utterly confused about what a SIP client is or does. Or maybe is me. Not sure ...

Let me rephrase this as best as I can, because there's an
understanding gap somewhere.

Blink is a SIP client.

Like most SIP clients, Blink uses TCP/IP to initiate connections
and exchange data with SIP servers.

SOCKS is a particular proxying mechanism for TCP/IP applications
specified in RFC1928.  There are many flavors of SOCKS servers to
do the proxying, and there's a lot of applications that have SOCKS
support so they can work with SOCKS servers.  Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS_%28protocol%29

In fact, in MacOS, you can specify a SOCKS server and a lot of
MacOS apps (iTunes, Safari, Java, etc.) will obey it:

	System Preferences->Network->{adapter of choice)
	Click on Advanced
	Click on Proxies
	Look for SOCKS

I'd like Blink to be able to optionally use the SOCKS protocol, talk
to a SOCKS server, and through that SOCKS server talk to the rest of
the Internet.

Currently, Blink does not do this.

I think what is needed is for Blink to be linked with some sort
of SOCKS library.

Does this help?