[Blink] outbound proxy not used

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Oct 1 23:29:58 CEST 2010

On 1 Oct 2010, at 22:36, Juha Heinanen wrote:

> Luci Stanescu writes:
>
>> Actually, this is not a requirement. Blink doesn't keep a list of
>> root
>> nameservers, so it asks the local nameserver (i.e. from
>> /etc/resolv.conf) for the authoritative nameserver of the domain. It
>> does this by querying for the NS records of a domain, stripping each
>> label until it gets a result. In your case, that'd mean:
>>
>> sip.test.fi. IN NS
>> test.fi. IN NS
>> fi. IN NS
>>
>> Once it gets a result, it queries those nameservers for anything
>> else it
>> might need. In short, this means it should work in your case as
>> well as
>> long as your nameservers answer the queries correctly.
>

> luci,
>
> that is what i though also, i.e., it should work, but it didn't.  host
> command is able to resolve sip.test.fi, but blink is not.  everything
> should be correct regarding configuration of my name servers:

There may be a bug in the DNS lookup module in blink. I recall I've
seen a similar behavior with an account for a certain provider. Blink
would only occasionally register with that account, but will most of
the time just fail to do the DNS lookup in order to register. At the
same time, using dig in a console on the same nameservers that blink
was supposed to use for the lookup, I could get back the correct
answers every time without any error.