[Blink] Hotkeys

Devin devin at vibechild.com
Sat Feb 27 02:15:44 CET 2010

Adium registers a global hotkey.  It is open source, so might provide a clue as to how they do it.  Adium's hotkey only focuses the application, but it is still useful.

Omnifocus allows setting a hotkey to bring up a text entry window without focusing the application.  That would be ideal functionality for a mute or hold button.

Quicksilver has a number of global hotkey functions as well as the ability to process hotkeys for other applications, but since blink doesn't have an applescript interface, I haven't been able to figure out how to use it for this.

Another idea would be to use the system's "Services" menu.  Items on the services menu can be assigned hotkeys and some are accessible globally.  Sorry I don't have any pointers as to how to do it, I've just seen it in other applications so I know it's possible.

For the hangup button, I don't have any ideas for determining which session to hang up - but for those of us who usually only have one open session and use the "hangup all" button anyway, having a "hangup all" menu item which we could assign a hotkey to would at least make it possible to use it that way if we want to.

Thanks!
-Devin