[Blink] DTMF in phone number

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Sat Dec 11 14:08:48 CET 2010

Which part of the contributing guide did not address your question?

I will answer your email in more detail:

On Dec 11, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Spam Box wrote:

> I do contribute to several open-source projects,

Blink is an open-source project. Anyone should be able to contribute if they want a new feature implemented. The only requirement for the code to be accepted is to be well written and maintainable. If someone needs a feature that's important to them but it's not on our roadmap, they can contribute it.

> and I don't think
> that asking whether something is supported or can be added to the
> roadmap deserves such a terse and unproductive reply.
The decision if something will be included in the official repository is based on:

How useful a feature is for other people.
The code that adds the feature must be well designed. The design should be clean, simple and self contained, avoiding complex dependencies on other parts of the code as much as possible. The code should be self documenting (well named classes, methods, variables that help understand what they intend to do without resorting to comments or external documentation).
The code must follow the coding conventions already in place in blink, regarding naming conventions, spacing, etc. We mainly use python's pep8 for our coding style in python and pep7 for the C code in case there is a python extension involved. They are available here:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0007/
Is good to discuss the design first on the mailing list so that the best approach is found to avoid multiple costly iterations later. Also follow the coding style in order to avoid similar multiple iterations before the code is admitted

> If you don't
> welcome feedback, you should indicate it on your site.

Quite the opposite, this is why we made a precise guide for questions like the one you asked.

Adrian