[Blink] no audio if multiple ip-addresses are active

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Fri Aug 13 17:34:46 CEST 2010

Kenny,

Not wanting to kill your enthusiasm, I actually will,

The problem you try to solve is many times over the complexity you imagine it is.

The real problem is that SIP and SDP require you to put IP addresses into them before you attempt to setup the session. Now you do not know beforehand where the session will end-up to, DNS may return an answer that points on a different network then your VPN, you may be redirected, forked etc and the final destination and here it split between both signaling and media might be on a different interface that you imagined before starting the call.

You try to solve a matrix of infinite possibilities. What you can certainly solve is your particular case only that will not help other users.

The only thing that works deterministically is the default route, which is good enough for generic Internet usage but not for VPNs. This is why whenever you have VPNs you have custom based solutions and applications supported by various vendors, which are not compatible one with another and each company has  a set of applications that are managed by a sysadmin that knows the particularities of that VPN.

Adrian