[Blink] Digest user

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at cdu.edu.au
Fri Apr 30 10:18:52 CEST 2010

Adrian,

I really thing you are attributing a motive to the vendor which is unlikely.

I would be highly surprised if the vendor had decided to do this type of
INVITE just to limit which phones work with their PBX.

> From: Adrian Georgescu <ag at ag-projects.com>
> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:08:37 +0200
> To: Emil Ivov <emcho at sip-communicator.org>
> Cc: <blink at lists.ag-projects.com>
> Subject: Re: [Blink] Digest user
>
> Hi Emil,

Indeed, that INVITE is valid RFC wise. But think about it more in a

wider context. This behaviour expects the other end-points to do what
is
> described (and convoluted) but in practice this does not happen
with the
> majority of the SIP User Agents in the Internet world, Blink
included in
> this case, that do negotiate the SDP starting with the
first invite and not
> later.

While having SDP in the original INVITE will work with any User Agent

on the planet, the opposite is not true, so this behaviour should be

avoided because it leads inexorably to interoperability issues.

Being RFC
> correct does not also mean is also a clever thing to do
unless you are a
> proprietary vendor that sale both the PBX and the
phones like Cisco in this
> case. Most of the proprietary vendors do
exactly this, they use the
> standards in their own tweaked way in order
to sell more devices that
> complies with their solution and they do not
care for generic
> interoperability with other implementations. Is
actually a selling point for
> them to do this.

The actual technical reason is that PJSIP stack requires the
> presence
of an SDP in the original Invite and I do not blame them for this

design, It makes not sense for me to have INVITE with media
description
> either.

In this case Blink will not work but it explicitly rejects the call

with 488, which is also correct because it was designed to required
SDP in
> the first INVITE.

Adrian

On Apr 30, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

> [...]
> over
>>> UDP)->
>>> MY.MAC.IP.ADDR:59181
>>> *INVITE
> sip:fcuzryxa at MY.MAC.IP.ADDR:59181 SIP/2.0
>>> *Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:31:54
> GMT
>>> Allow: INVITE, OPTIONS, INFO, BYE, CANCEL, ACK, PRACK, UPDATE,
>>>
> REFER,
>>> SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY
>>>
> <sip:YYYY at SIP.SERVER.IP.ADDR>;tag=94d7ad56-fdc6-40a9-
>>>
> bd8e-772b8995b8b6-47099214
>>> Allow-Events: presence
>>> Supported:
> timer,resource-priority,replaces
>>> Min-SE:  1800
>>> Remote-Party-ID:
>>>
> <sip:YYYY at 138.80.6.4;x-cisco-callback-
>>>
> number=YYYY>;party=calling;screen=yes;privacy=off

>>> To: <sip:XXXX at MY.MAC.IP.ADDR>
>>> Contact:
> <sip:YYYY at SIP.SERVER.IP.ADDR:5060>;video;audio
>>> Expires: 180
>>> Call-ID:
> 63b1d680-bda116ea-b7-406508a at SIP.SERVER.IP.ADDR
>>> Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
> SIP.SERVER.IP.ADDR:5060;branch=z9hG4bKc721379491
>>> CSeq: 101 INVITE
>>>
> Send-Info: conference
>>> Max-Forwards: 70
>>> Alert-Info:
> <file://Bellcore-dr1/>
>>
>> There is no SDP with any type of supported media
> in this Invite.
>>
>> You are using Blink against a non-standard compliant
> corporate PBX
>> solution that works only with approved phone devices by
> Cisco.
>>
>> What do you want to see happening except rejecting it?
>
> It's
> probably worth noting that 3261 does authorize empty INVITEs. In
> such cases
> you simply need to send an offer in the OK, and get the
> answer in the
> ACK.
>
> From 3261, 13.2.1:
>
>         The initial offer MUST be in either an
> INVITE or, if not
> there,
>         in the first reliable non-failure
> message from the UAS back to
>         the UAC.  In this specification, that
> is the final 2xx
>         response.
>
> and then:
>
>         If the initial
> offer is in the first reliable non-failure
>         message from the UAS back
> to UAC, the answer MUST be in the
>         acknowledgement for that message
> (in this specification, ACK
>         for a 2xx response).
>
> Here's the
> whole thing (starting at the bottom):
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#page-79
>
> Cheers,
> Emil
>

> Adrian

> --
> Emil Ivov, Ph.D.
> 67000 Strasbourg,
> Project Lead                                   France

Blink
Blink at lists.ag-projects.com