[SIP Beyond VoIP] Getting started with sylkserver

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Tue Jan 5 01:47:06 CET 2016

> On 05 Jan 2016, at 00:47, Adrian Weiler <sylk-testing at aweiler.com> wrote:
>
> Hello again,
>
> At 04.01.2016, 17:31 Adrian Georgescu wrote:
>> There is nothing special in SylkServer that can make it work only with a particular SIP Proxy. It should work with any proxy or without one.
> SylkServer does not provide accounts. If I configure an account with a
> domain whose _sips._tcp DNS record points directly to SylkServer, the
> server will reject the initial PUBLISH, REGISTER and SUBSCRIBE requests
> with 405 Method Not Allowed and 489 Bad Event. So IMHO I do need a proxy.
>
> If you claim that SylkServer works without proxy, then please provide
> some documentation on how that should be configured.

Well, is zero configuration really. Your SIP client starts a session by sending an INVITE to SylkServer, there is nothing you need to configure for this to work.

If in doubt that your proxy is the culprit just start a session from Blink to SylkServer like user at sylkserver.ip.address <mailto:user at sylkserver.ip.address>

Than do the same while traversing your proxy see what the difference is and fix the proxy configuration.

>> Your proxy must relay all packets between the two rather than blocking them, this is is something configured into your SIP Proxy.
> If the proxy is configured to relay *all* packets, then I get the same
> 405 and 489 results as when having no proxy at all. So the proxy is
> supposed to do some work of its own, but probably in a different way
> than how it is implemented by reSIProcate.

> Please answer my question: which proxies is SylkServer known to work with?

For example OpenSIPS is used by sip2sip.info

>> You can also point Blink to SylkServer directly or using Bonjour mode in Mac you can discover it automatically and use it.
> I don't have a Mac. What do you mean with "point Blink to SylkServer"?
> The conference contact *is* defined for the domain pointing to
> SylkServer. The option "Always use my proxy for outgoing sessions" is
> *not* set. But Blink always talks to the domain where the account is
> defined, not to the contact's domain.

You can dial from Blink any SIP URI like room at sylkserver_ip without traversing your proxy.