[SIP Beyond VoIP] Possibly using SylkServer as SIP Gateway for XMPP

David Hubbard david.hubbard at agenor.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 10:58:19 CEST 2013

Hi

I'm looking at SylkServer for a potential requirement.

We actually using XMPP Server hosted internally for our IM and Presence
usage (eJabberd on Linux) and would like to federate with a customers
SIP-based solution (Microsoft OCS).   So I'm considering putting
SylkServer to act as a gateway at the edge of our environment for
connection out to these customers.

 From my reading around SylkServer, I infer that this was mainly
developed for the SIP world to reach out to XMPP - however my
requirement is the other way round.

So my questions are:

- Can we use SylkServer (hosted our side) to act as a gateway to
external SIP servers?     I note a point on the installation
instructions <http://sylkserver.com/download.phtml>:  "SylkServer must
run on a public IP address reachable directly by the SIP clients. If
SylkServer is installed behind NAT using a private IP address, only
clients from the same LAN can make use of it. "

- Is this restriction just to allow support for local SIP Client usage
(which we wouldn't have directly - our local clients would be XMPP) or
will it affect external SIP server connection?

- Do I also need a SIP Proxy Server? and would OpenSIP be a good
candidate for this?

If there is any whitepaper or documentation which would fit my
requirement then please feel free to point me at it.

Regards
David