[SIP Beyond VoIP] Sylk-Server does not run on Ubuntu 11.04natty due to type error

Anil KARADAG akaradag at NETAS.com.tr
Fri Oct 5 15:31:37 CEST 2012

Hi Saúl,

Yes, python-twisted has been installed.

root at trhtlangley35:/etc/sylkserver# aptitude search python-twisted
c   python-twisted                                                         - Event-based framework for internet applications (transitional package)
i   python-twisted-bin                                                     - Event-based framework for internet applications
p   python-twisted-bin-dbg                                                 - Event-based framework for internet applications (debug extension)
p   python-twisted-calendarserver                                          - Twisted components for Apple's Calendarserver
c   python-twisted-conch                                                   - The Twisted SSH Implementation
i   python-twisted-core                                                    - Event-based framework for internet applications
p   python-twisted-lore                                                    - Documentation generator with HTML and LaTeX support
p   python-twisted-mail                                                    - An SMTP, IMAP and POP protocol implementation
i   python-twisted-names                                                   - A DNS protocol implementation with client and server
p   python-twisted-news                                                    - An NNTP protocol implementation with client and server
p   python-twisted-runner                                                  - Process management, including an inetd server
p   python-twisted-runner-dbg                                              - Process management, including an inetd server (debug extension)
p   python-twisted-snmp                                                    - SNMP implementation for the Twisted networking framework
i   python-twisted-web                                                     - An HTTP protocol implementation together with clients and servers
p   python-twisted-web2                                                    - An HTTP/1.1 Server Framework
i   python-twisted-words                                                   - Chat and Instant Messaging

root at trhtlangley35:/etc/sylkserver# python
Python 2.7.1+ (r271:86832, Sep 27 2012, 21:12:17)
[GCC 4.5.2] on linux2
>>> import twisted
>>> from twisted.python import failure
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/zope/__init__.py:3: UserWarning: Module twisted was already imported from /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-12.2.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/__init__.pyc, but /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wokkel-0.7.0-py2.7.egg is being added to sys.path
  import pkg_resources
>>> from gnutls.interfaces.twisted import X509Credentials
>>> from sipsimple.account import Account, BonjourAccount, AccountManager
>>> from sylk.server import SylkServer
>>> import os
>>> os.system("/usr/bin/sylk-server --no-fork");
Starting SylkServer 2.1.0, config=/etc/sylkserver/config.ini
fatal error: failed to create SylkServer: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sylk-server", line 68, in main
    from sylk.server import SylkServer
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sylk/server.py", line 13, in <module>
    from sipsimple.account import Account, BonjourAccount, AccountManager
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sipsimple/account/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
    from gnutls.interfaces.twisted import X509Credentials
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnutls/interfaces/twisted/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
    from twisted.python import failure
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/application/log/extensions/twisted/twisted.py", line 14, in <module>
    import twisted
TypeError: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found
256

On Oct 5, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Adrian Georgescu wrote:

> What did you put in your config.ini?
>
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 5, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Anil KARADAG wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have an issue, I don't run sylk-server on ubuntu 11.04. I installed it successful.
>>

>> root at trhtlangley35:~# sylk-server --no-fork
>> Starting SylkServer 2.1.0, config=/etc/sylkserver/config.ini
>> fatal error: failed to create SylkServer: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/sylk-server", line 68, in main
>>     from sylk.server import SylkServer
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sylk/server.py", line 13, in <module>
>>     from sipsimple.account import Account, BonjourAccount, AccountManager
>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sipsimple/account/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
>>     from gnutls.interfaces.twisted import X509Credentials
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnutls/interfaces/twisted/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
>>     from twisted.python import failure
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/application/log/extensions/twisted/twisted.py", line 14, in <module>
>>     import twisted
>> TypeError: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found
>> root at trhtlangley35:~#

Do you have Twisted installed? You can check by opening a Python terminal and typing:

>>> import twisted