[SIP Beyond VoIP] MSRP: Transaction Response and Success/Failure Report

venu Y toyvenu at gmail.com
Thu May 24 10:14:47 CEST 2012

Hi Andreas,

Thanks very much for quick response. This is what exact clarification I'm
looking for.

Seeking few more clarifications .. please in line.

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Andreas Bachmann <andreas at jibemobile.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  One thing first in general:
>

>    - Failure Reports (which are responses to MSRP requests) are always
>    chunk related
>
>              Does *Responses *include
                       >>  MSRP REPORT method with Status header having
status code other than "200".

             What about the failure resulting in the end receiver
(Application) processing of content?
             They should be informed through Failure Report only? or any
another means?

            What I understood is, responses are b/n hop by hop, where as
REPORTs are end-to-end.

>    - Success Reports (which are MSRP REPORT Requests) are always related
>    to a message (the whole, or parts of it (ByteRange))
>
> So to clarify things here:
>

>    1. A message can be sent in one chunk or more then one chunk
>    (depending on size and if the message must be interrupted or not).
>    2. For each chunk u can request a failure report. If Failure Report is
>    YES or PARTIAL u should run a timer for waiting for 200 OK or an error
>    response (in case of partial). However there is no need to wait for the
>     response before sending the next chunk/message
>
>               In case of "Partial", we MAY not get any error response, if
every thing success.
              In that case we shouldn't have a timer. Is it fine?

>    1. For a MESSAGE you can request a success report by setting the
>    Success-Report header to yes (note default here is false). If the message
>    is chunked – then the value for that header MUST BE equal in every chunk of
>    that message. Which makes sense as the success report is related to the
>    whole message and not one chunk only. If a report was requested a timer
>    could be started and one could wait for the report to be received. But you
>    should be aware that this may take a while as the report signals successful
>    end to end delivery (where responses are hop by hop). So you may find a
>    better strategy by marking a message as send when all chunks are
>    transferred and as received when u get the report.
>

> In any case u only send transaction (chunk) responses in case they have
> been requested by failure report header. The success report header is not
> related to transactions at all.

Thanks for confirmation

--
With Regards