[Blink] Keep Alive

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Tue Aug 28 20:43:54 CEST 2018

Hi Mike,

Blink does not have an explicit keep-alive mechanism, but it does respond to keep alive packets like an OPTIONS packet sent by a SIP server.

As a rule of thumb, a SIP provider should not depend on clients for keeping their registrations alive. Their infrastructure could be missing some logic if they need clients to do stuff to stay connected.

If the client registration is lost you could try lowering the registration time (again the server could force that as well without any configuration in the client) or you can switch to a reliable transport like TCP or TLS, again is up to the server to force these as well.

Another culprit could be a broken NAT router, google for "SIP ALG problem” whereby a router can break the SIP signalling  by mangling packets. The solution is found in the search result.

If you have more specific information about the type of keep alive required by the server we could perhaps formulate a more accurate answer.