[Blink] Russian locale issues + broken VP8 encoding

Charles Rocha rochacj at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 15:51:19 CET 2015

Hello, Dan,

Great work! Now it works perfectly.

Use this command to make a usable desktop icon:

sh -c "LC_ALL=C blink"

If you would like help making a Russian translation for Blink, let me know.

Charles

 Subject: Re: [Blink] Russian locale issues + broken VP8 encoding
 To: "Blink Support Forum" <blink at lists.ag-projects.com>
 Date: Friday, October 30, 2015, 3:30 PM

 I've found the
 problem. It'll be fixed in the next release.
 In the meanwhile if you want to use it you can
 start it with a C locale from a terminal like:

 LC_ALL=C blink

 On 24 Oct 2015, at 22:11, Charles Rocha
 wrote:

 > Dear Blink
 Staff,

 > We are
 trying to use Blink in our office. We are running either
 Debian Jessie or Xubuntu 14.04 on all systems. The Debian
 systems are set up with the US locale. The Xubuntu systems
 are set up with the Russian locale. It is on these Xubuntu
 systems that Blink does not work properly. In our testing,
 it appears that the problem seems related to having a locale
 that uses non-latin characters.

 > Symptoms: Blink can receive chats and
 calls but cannot call out or send chat messages. The chat
 window setup screen is a blank gray box. Most of the system
 settings are unchecked by default and can be selected, but
 they revert to the unchecked state when Blink is exited and
 restarted. When starting Blink from the command line, the
 following text appears in the terminal:

 > xubuntu at xubuntu:~$
 blink
 > error: Exception occured while
 calling function handle_notification in the GUI thread
 > Traceback (most recent call last):
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/__init__.py",
 line 278, in _EH_CallFunctionEvent

 event.function(*event.args, **event.kw)
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/preferences.py",
 line 1662, in handle_notification

 handler(notification)
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/preferences.py",
 line 1666, in _NH_SIPApplicationDidStart
 >    self.load_settings()
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/preferences.py",
 line 701, in load_settings

 self.update_chat_preview()
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/preferences.py",
 line 886, in update_chat_preview

 add_message(message)
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/preferences.py",
 line 870, in add_message

 chat_element.appendInside(message.to_html(style,
 user_icons=user_icons))
 >  File
 "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blink/chatwindow.py",
 line 301, in to_html
 >    return
 style.html.message.format(message=self, **kw)
 > UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec
 can't decode byte 0xd0 in position 3: ordinal not in
 range(128)

 --
 Dan