[Blink] Latest Blink breaks pound DTMF key (#) - sends '3' instead of '#', which is Shift-3

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Apr 25 12:18:16 CEST 2014

On 24 Apr 2014, at 22:20, Raymond Savoie wrote:

> This simply doesn't work for me.  I just tried calling an 800 number with a bunch of letters in it and it doesn't work.  All that happens is a "Not Found" error. The letters don't get converted to digits, at least not for dialing.

Typing characters in the search box after the number will not send DTMF. Typing keys to send DTMF only works after the session is established.

> The only issue right now is that it only accepts uppercase letters, but it'll be fixed in the next release.
>
> Tried upper and lower case.  Neither worked.  I'm running 0.8.1.

Click the audio call and start typing. If your keyboard focus is somewhere else (like the search box), then the keys will go there instead of being interpreted as DTMF.

> P.S. I never understood why people prefer convoluted solutions over the plain and simple ones. I mean when I have a full keyboard at my disposal, why would I prefer a virtual one that mimics one from device that uses a limited keyboard because of size/price constrains? I guess habits die hard. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if people would buy USB devices that mimic old phones with their limited keyboards just to place a phone call from a software client using the interface they got used to...
> Maybe I should start that business ;)
>
> Why do you claim a popup DTMF dialpad to be a "convoluted solution"?

Because it is. I already explained in the paragraph above. There is no point in repeating the same argument.

> Why do you claim that Blink's solution is "plain and simple"? Those are both subjective assessments and, I think, matter of perception.

I disagree. There is nothing subjective in the idea that a dedicated fully functional precision tool (your 100+ key keyboard) is always better than a limited/crippled tool (a virtual representation of a limited 12 key keyboard that is painted on screen and has to be clicked with the mouse). Both the input speed and effort required to perform the same operation are in favor of your computer keyboard.

> If recent queries on the mailing list are any indication, novice users don't necessarily share your opinion.

I can count on the fingers from one hand how many times a dialpad was requested on this list. Less than 5 users is a _very_ small percentage of the subscriber base.

> Also, you should realize that most novice users probably don't subscribe to this mailing list, so I would argue that a lot more people are put off by the lack of a DTMF dialpad than you might think.

I would argue that if the same percentage extrapolates to the unsubscribed users, then there are not that many as you'd wish. What experience taught me is that for every user that complains about something he dislikes there are a lot more users that are happy with the product and just stay silent. It's only that complainers are very vocal and persistent making it look like a common opinion while it's not.

> Sorry if this is a controversial subject: I'm not trying to upset anybody, just trying to express another point of view.

I don't think anyone here is upset. People just state their points why they think a keyboard is better. As for being controversial, I'd rather say it's dead. Every now and then someone comes and raises the subject, but they're just beating a dead horse. I know you think that a dialpad would be great, but that's where our opinions differ. Our goal is to make a modern communication software and that excludes being anchored into past obsolete technologies. PSTN is dead, they just didn't get the memo. Besides as I already said, you have a full computer at your disposal, no need to try to emulate small 3-4 inch devices with their limitations.

--
Dan