[Blink] Latest Blink breaks pound DTMF key (#) - sends '3' instead of '#', which is Shift-3

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 10 10:22:34 CEST 2014

On 10 Apr 2014, at 2:23, Bart Volgers wrote:

> I am really perplex that they use a system like this…. It's totally un-usefull to make up an complex password if it's just translated back to an numeric sequence. It can also give an un-save perception of safety, as your password is just a sequence of numbers. Also it is transmitted over an non encrypted connection in numeric DTMF code. I think I wouldn't rely on that and move to a brokerage house one with a better understanding of safety. If you want to continue to use this with Blink you need to make a lookup table to enter them a digits

Actually you do not need to. The solution is painfully obvious and simple. You just type the letters and blink sends the corresponding digits for you. i.e. type A/B/C and it sends the DTMF for 1, D/E/F send 2, ...
It has internal mappings between letters and digits that follow those on telephone keyboards.
In short you can type any letter, digit or #* and it sends the right thing for you.

The only issue right now is that it only accepts uppercase letters, but it'll be fixed in the next release.

P.S. I never understood why people prefer convoluted solutions over the plain and simple ones. I mean when I have a full keyboard at my disposal, why would I prefer a virtual one that mimics one from device that uses a limited keyboard because of size/price constrains? I guess habits die hard. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if people would buy USB devices that mimic old phones with their limited keyboards just to place a phone call from a software client using the interface they got used to...
Maybe I should start that business ;)

--
Dan