[Blink] codec question

Matthew Daniel mdaniel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 00:41:33 CET 2011

Hello,

My VoIP provider (callcentric.com) claims to only support four codecs
when calling into PSTN:
* G.723 6.3Kbps
* G.729A
* G.711 mu-law
* G.711 A-law
(in that order of preference)

I have ZERO idea why they support GSM for intra-service calls but not
to PSTN. :-( I have had a miserable experience with mu-law and a-law,
and my Blink 0.22.2 does not mention G.723 or G.729A (unless they go
by some crafty alias).

Anyway, my question is two-fold:

1. Is there a 5-minute explanation about cost-benefit tradeoffs for
adding new codecs into Blink?

2. Or is it just a matter of someone requesting it and waiting for
development to happen, possibly spurred onward by some healthy
donation or purchase?

This whole topic has always been a black hole, so forgive me if this
is a tremendously n00b question.

  -- /v\atthew