[Blink] Intermittent registration failures against Asterisk

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Fri Feb 11 11:20:58 CET 2011

Hi Ben,

Found it.

Short answer: asterisk is misbehaving. Increase the registration time to
90 seconds, Blink will effectively re-register after 45 seconds, which I
guess its fine for your needs.

Long answer:

Blink will send the re-register at half of the proposed expiration
process, that is, if you set it to 60 seconds it will re-register each
30 seconds. This way we ensure you'll always be registered.

Asterisk keeps your first REGISTER transaction (though he understands it
as a 'dialog') for 32 seconds, see the logs:

Scheduling destruction of SIP dialog 'reg///1-26391 at 192.168.99.53' in
32000 ms (Method: REGISTER)

Now, if you send a new REGISTER *before* those 32 seconds have elapsed
*and* if has a *different* tag in the From header, Asterisk will say the
nonce is stalled but its not. However, if the From tag matches (I tested
this with SIPp) registration goes fine.

The second registration is a whole new registration process so the From
tag is changed by Blink.

I'll report the bug to Asterisk but in the meanwhile just raise the
expiration time to 90 seconds, that will work.