[Blink] MSRP:

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Sun Dec 11 14:36:42 CET 2011

If that's the meaning, one TCP connection could theoretically be reused to multiplex multiple MSRP session between the same targets.

But if you would reuse same TCP connection, then one single file transfer session could potentially monopolize it preventing smaller chat messages to be delivered in a timely manner before the transfer is finished. It is much easier to apply throttling policies in a router or relay on a per TCP connection basis, to prioritize chat sessions against file transfer session for instance, doing it inside the protocol would add a lot of overhead and extra processing in all end-points.

In Blink every new MSRP session establishes a new TCP connection. Also MSRPRelay does not reuse TCP connections for the reason mentioned above.

Adrian