[Blink] Dialing US toll-free numbers

Schumann Sebastian Sebastian.Schumann at st.sk
Mon Aug 8 16:07:15 CEST 2011

Hi Lars

You need to register with a SIP provider that allows outbound calls to the PSTN. You cannot "just call" a toll free number with any given SIP provider - even if it would be for free.

In addition, all main VoIP providers I know use the SIP URI scheme (in contrast to the tel URI scheme). Even though you see a SIP URI with the PSTN number, this works perfectly fine, as they have gateways (SIP capable) that route the call to the PSTN ("as a normal telephone number").

I think you have no "problem" with the software as such, just with your understanding of VoIP. Hope I could help a bit.

Best regards
Sebastian