[Blink] Blink Improvements

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 05:18:21 CEST 2011

I am very impressed by Blink.  I have tried other software and so far
nothing else compares to the quality of the SIP connections that Blink
provides.  I have a few ideas for improvements, however.  It would be
great if Blink were able to do three things:

1) Video as well as audio.  This is fairly self explanatory.

2) Ability to minimize to the system tray (I use linux with KDE, so a
KDE system tray integration would be great, but integration with both
KDE and Gnome system trays would be ideal).  It is annoying that Blink
must take up space in the task manager the whole time that it is
running.  Other IM clients and Ekiga are able to do this.  I tried
Ekiga and would have stayed with it, but the SIP connections that it
makes are slightly buggy, and I would rather have a solid connection
using a client with some cosmetic problems than anything else.

3) Integrate with KDE's new Akonadi service.  In case you know nothing
about Akonadi, it is KDE's centralized system for maintaining
contacts.  I can have one contact list that is shared across all KDE
software.  There is a plugin that allows it to be synchronized with my
Google contacts.  This allows me to be in contact nirvana.  Kopete,
the KDE IM client has the same set of contacts as my mail client, my
office software, and other things.  It would be great to be able to
use Blink to call people in my contact list seamlessly, and since it
is synchronized with my Google contacts and I have an Android phone,
all my phone numbers are sychronized.  If I add a phone number to my
cell phone and come home I would be able to call them using Blink
because their number and contact would already be there.

Thanks,
Rob