[Blink] Packaging it for Debian

Luci Stanescu luci at cnix.ro
Wed Dec 29 10:53:01 CET 2010

On 20 Dec 2010, at 11:46, Dan Pascu wrote:

> This may be tricky. We currently use some custom libraries and python modules. Packaging those may conflict with the official ones. For example we use pjsip version 1.0 with additional patches. This may not be a problem as debian allows multiple versions of C libraries to coexist as different packages, but if someone else decides to package the official pjsip-1.0 then we will conflict with that.

python-sipsimple is statically linked with this custom version of pjsip, so it need not be packaged separately. The build process is a bit weird as it fetches pjsip-1.0 from the svn repo (several times if I recall correctly?), but this could be improved.

> The same way we use python-eventlet version 0.8 with some additional fixes. We don't plan to use a newer version as they changed the API and also stated that they plan to remove the twisted reactor adaptor which we use. Currently I know of no way to have the same python module at 2 different versions available at the same time in debian.

Since this is a custom version, we might just as well give it a custom name (unless the license disagrees, obviously).

I do agree these suggestions sound more a hack, but let's not forget that these dependencies are customised for sipsimple and this means they need not (and personally I don't see a reason to) be packaged as general-purpose libraries.

--
Luci Stanescu