[Blink] Blink hangs on Linux when accessing sound device

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Dec 6 10:17:04 CET 2010

Hey,

back at work I can play around with Blink again. Some more information.

I'm running with PulseAudio started from a KDE session. Blink goes to
100% CPU as soon as I start it. ~/.blink/config lists "system_default"
as the audio devices for all three even if I change them to the
Sennheiser headset or if I change them to "pulse" via the configuration
dialog -- somehow the settings are not saved (might have to do with
Blink not shutting down cleanly 80% of the time -- even after waiting 2
minutes the process is still running and I have to kill it manually).

If I edit ~/.blink/config and set the device strings to "pulse" then
Blink behaves the same as before, but the configuration dialog at least
shows "pulse" to be selected as the audio devices instead of "System
default". I guess that "system default" is the same as "pulse" if
PulseAudio is running.

I tried stopping PulseAudio and using Blink without it, but that
seems... well... difficult as it is restarted automatically.

However, something very interesting just happened. I started pavucontrol
while Blink was running at 100% CPU. Switched to the "Recording"
tab. There the "ALSA plugin [Python-2.6]" was using "Internal Audio
Analog Stereo". As soon as I switched that to "Sennheiser USB headset
analog mono" CPU usage went down instantly.

Cannot test more at the moment, because our internal SIP box is down.

Regards,
Mosu